Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bug-A-Day Mini-Marathon Day Eight!

Japanese Beetle in Toronto, Robert Rafton
In Spanish "Ocho Dias" means a week, so yes it was a week ago today that the Bug-A-Day Mini-Marathon began. This will probably be it for now. Or will it...?

Either way, here are some Japanese Beetles. They really are from Japan, and in fact the first Japanese Beetle did not make an appearance in Canada until 1939. They're all over the place now, another insect that I usually see everywhere I look (when I'm looking for bugs that is). They seem quite immune from any insecticides.

One odd note: they aren't easy to get in focus, at least for me. I'm not quite sure why this should be so. My only guess is that it's because they're reflective but really I just don't know.

Click on these two guys to get a better view.

Japanese Beetle taking a drink of water, Robert Rafton
The rest of the Mini-Marathon to date:

Day One...

Day Two...

Day Three...

Day Four...

Day Five...

Day Six...

Day Seven....