Monday, August 23, 2010

Here's Looking at You, Kids

Close up of turkey vulture, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Normally I throw up shots of animals we can all look at. For a change I thought I'd put up shots of animals looking at us. And, well, let's be honest, I wanted an excuse to show this turkey vulture.

This was shot around Whitby (still Toronto by our definition). I was standing in the middle of a field and the turkey vulture approached very low. It then actually circled back to check me out, flying only about eight or ten feet above my head. Do I look like road kill? I don't think so, I work out and everything, but for some reason this vulture was curious. Click to really stare him down because vultures have beedy little eyes and it's usually quite hard to capture them.

Next we have another dead meat consumer, a flesh fly. Then some other more or less scary customers, in order:  a Common Green Darner dragonfly, a Longhorned Beetle, and a Shieldbug.

Red eyed fly, photographer:  Robert Rafton
Extreme close up of dragonfly, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Scary beetle shot, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Shieldbug looking up, photographer:  Robert Rafton
Terrified yet? Probably not. But just in case, let's close with some happy, nice creatures: a skipper butterfly, what I think is a Nashville Warbler, and a playful Canada Goose gosling. And remember, wherever you go...they're watching.

Butterfly, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Warbler, Toronto photograper Robert Rafton
Wacky young gosling, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Click any of these to launch them all in the viewing box.