Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Deer Hunting

Deer Looking at Sunrise, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
In another tribute to incredible laziness, here's another golden oldie, this one from August of 2006. Ah, those were the days.

As I've touched on before, there really are deer to be found in and around Toronto. I've seen them in the Don Valley within striking distance of downtown. I've also seen them in Rouge Park and heard of them being spotted in many other places, including High Park (though I do wonder how a deer could get in there). I've even heard deer hunters complain they see more deer in the city they see in areas of the far north where you're allowed to hunt them.

I spotted this particular young deer early in the morning at Cranberry Marsh, Whitby, which still counts as Toronto for us. You can see she's actually checking out the sunrise in the first shot. Once I took her picture she heard me and looked over, and, as usually happens with deer, she took off. (I think it was a she.)

Deer looking at Robert Rafton, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
I was using an older version Nikon 300mm f2.8 this day, which is a physically huge and heavy lens. I rented it from Vistek downtown on Queen, a place you might want to check out if you're interested in trying out a lens. They have a huge selection available for both Nikon and Canon and a weekend rental isn't expensive at all. You can get glass you'd never have access to otherwise this way. Many people just aren't aware that there's a place in Toronto where you can rent camera equipment so easily.