Friday, October 10, 2008

Turkey Vultures


If you think insects are icky and all birds nice, don't look at any turkey vultures too closely. When I was a kid growing up in Toronto I had no idea that anything like a turkey vulture could be found 'round these here parts, but like with a lot of the creatures I mention at Toronto Wildlife they're pretty easy to find. I've seen them around the DVP, the Gardiner, High Park, all up and down the lakeshore, and sometimes in large groups as numerous as a dozen or more. The problem is they're usually high up, and I mean really high up. I've seen them cruising at two thousand feet easy.

This one was with a bunch of his compatriots near the bluffs and they were quite low, which let me get this shot. I made sure to act alive so I wouldn't get eaten, because these guys do mostly eat carion.

Click the photo to enlarge and get a better view.