Saturday, July 11, 2009

Toronto Coyotes

Toronto Coyotes doesn't seem as obvious a connection, as, I don't know, say, Toronto Blue Jays, but there are coyotes in Toronto and I ran into a small pack of them recently in, yes, Area 51. Remember, this is a park area literally only a stone's throw from the intersection of a major highway and street, right in the middle of the city.

Here's the one I think was leader of the pack:

Coyote in Toronto park, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
This was pretty early in the morning and it's interesting to note that while coyotes were originally diurnal, that is day animals, they've become nocturnal in response to living near humans. Coyotes are so good at adapting to human habitation in fact that they're one of the few animals whose population has increased when they've come in widespread contact with us. It's believed many major North American cities have as many as several thousand coyotes living within their borders, though I'm unaware of any study of this type with regard to Toronto.

I saw three coyotes in total. Here we see the straggler:

Close image of coyote in Toronto, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Like his or her pals, this coyote spent quite a while hovering close to see what I'd do next. When they saw that I was just going to take their picture, they went on their merry way.

Coyote in Toronto walking away, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
And though this is pure speculation, I think you can tell which of these coyotes is the dominant one by looking at the eyes. Here's a closeup of the straggler:

Closeup of coyote's face, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Now check out the closeup of the coyote I think was the leader, excusing the poorer quality because he was farther away:

Closeup of coyote face in Toronto, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Again, it is pure speculation and perhaps it's my imagination, but while the eyes of the coyote straggler look worried and a little afraid, the eyes of this other coyote don't look scared at all. So I think that's the boss...

My best tip for spotting a coyote: go out very early in the morning.