Sunday, November 23, 2008

Deer in Area 51

No, this ain't the greatest photograph in the world, but they say a picture's worth a thousand words, and I wanted to illustrate something. And please note that the original quotation was that a picture is worth ten thousand words. Look it up.

Anyhow, my point was that there really is a lot of wildlife around. People don't always believe this though, and sometimes when I tell folks that there are deer right in the centre of the city they just don't believe me. But it's true, and here's the proof: a deer in a Toronto city park. The added bonus is that you can see my car in the background! How cool is that? Now I won't tell you exactly which park this is - I'm going to call it Area 51 to denote that it's a secret - but I will tell you it's only a few hundred square meters and that it's right at the intersection of a major Toronto street and highway. So it just goes to show you that a little protection and encouragement can go a long way for wildlife. You don't need to travel to Algonquin Park or Nunavut to see cool stuff.

Just FYI, the image of the frog you can find here also comes from my mysterious Area 51. Look for many more references to this site in the future. And no, if you email me, I won't tell you where it is.

Of course if you pay me....