Saturday, July 17, 2010

Ants Aren't Gentlemen

Macro, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
So I stole the title for this post from P.G. Wodehouse. I did toy with the idea of some sort of complex joke based around the idea of the ant and the grasshopper and the tortoise and the hare, except I was going to substitute a snail for the tortoise. It never quite worked though.

I started down this failed joke path because in the course of its travels the ant above stumbled into a snail. Or over a snail. Several times.

Ant checking out snail, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Ant bothering snail, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
These other two pictures are a little disorienting because the ant hung around checking out the snail for a few minutes and the snail moved during that time - though not very far. I don't think the snail was happy about the encounter at all. What ant species is this exactly? Feel free to figure it out if you can.

As with almost all the macros you see here, I shot this with a Nikkor 300mm f4 and a PN-11 extension tube. I also handheld a flash which almost always helps for insects.