Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What Bees Do in the Nighttime

Sleeping Honey Bee, Toronto photographer Robert RaftonI thought I'd add in some racy material to drive up my google ranking. So I've got you here now and you're wondering, waiting with bated breath to find out just what is it exactly that bees do in the nighttime. Well, the wait's over. I'll tell you.

They sleep.

Whew. Thank goodness you don't let the kids read this. Anyhow, bees are hard to get a good shot of because they're well...busy as bees. They move about constantly when they're on flowers, searching for pollen and scooping it up, antennae flitting about all over when they're not actually flying. I was able to get a nice, crisp shot of this bee because she (and it's almost certainly a she) is sleeping, just clinging to this spot on a flower stalk. You can often catch bees in this state early in the morning, so that's the best time to get a good shot of them. It also seems to me, with only anecdotal evidence, that there are more bees lying around like this after a heavy dew. Perhaps it makes them groggy.