Saturday, February 26, 2011

White-Breasted Nutjob


The paranoid among you should realize that whenever you go to a website they can tell how you got there and where you came from. So I can tell that sometimes children from Toronto's schools are looking up stuff on this website, which probably means that some of them are using me as a source for papers. I can think of no greater condemnation of our educational system.

Before any more of our youth are led astray, let me point out that this bird is really called a White-breasted Nuthatch. I just call them nutjobs because they almost always perch in this wacky upside-down position. Why? The scientific explanation seems to be they just like it that way. These three shots are of three different birds in three different parks.

While not exactly supercommon, you can find these guys all through the city all year around. The Red-breasted Nuthatch is much harder to find, and in fact I've never seen one.