Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What's So Great About the Great Egret

Image of Great Egret in Toronto's High Park, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
I've often kicked myself over reports of having just missed a great egret in Toronto, and every now and then I hear about several hanging around in one spot at once, flying around, spreading those big wings in a way no photographer could resist. I do catch up with them from time to time though, and here's one I shot in the duck pond of High Park.

Note that there is also a Great White Heron, which is simply a Great Blue Heron with all white feathers, a 'morph' as ornithologists call it. You can be certain this is not a Great White Heron because it lacks tufts on the top of its head and is a little more slender. I'll also say that egrets aren't quite as skittish as herons...though they're not exactly bold either.

As always, if you want a slightly better look, click to enlarge.