Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Lost Ruddy Turnstone

Ruddy Turnstone on Lake Ontario, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
As winter begins to really set in I should be switching to some winter images to get you all in the mood. The only problem is I don't really have that many winter images, because heck it's cold in the winter and I don't like it much. Sure I should be telling you it doesn't matter, if you want to take pictures of wildlife or see wildlife or any nature at all you've got to get out there all the time, rain, sleet or snow. And sure, you can do that, just be rest assured that more than likely I won't be out there with you in the winter months.

But....

I do have an image of an arctic bird: a ruddy turnstone walking along the beaches of Lake Ontario. These birds spend their summers way, way up in the arctic and summers around the Florida keys and Cuba. This guy must have got separated from his flock during the northbound springtime trip (when this was taken). He was walking and flying up and down the beach looking for his pals. I hope somehow he found them.

Turnstones incidentally get their name by turning over stones to look for food. You would have never guessed that on your own.