Wednesday, March 21, 2012

To Kill a Killdeer

Killdeer watching sunrise, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
Or, Killing Me Softly With Its Song...the last few days I've been tormented by a killdeer that's constantly hanging out in the parking lot next door. If you've never heard one of these birds, they make a very insistent and annoying sound which vaguely sounds like 'killdeer.' It's not uncommon to hear them at night, however it's no fun when you've got the windows open on a warm evening and are forced to hear the 'killdeering' for hours on end. I haven't actually seen my tormentor yet, so I've posted this picture from a couple of years back of a killdeer watching the sunrise. (Click to enlarge.)

It's also worth noting that it's very early for killdeers to be in Toronto.

And you might want to read about my encounter with a more friendly killdeer.