Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Reruns

All your favourite shows take a break over Christmas. It stinks. The same is true of your friendly neighbourhood wildlife photographer. It's cold out. I should be filling your heads with inspiring talk of how you need to go out no matter what the weather's like, but I'm not going to. Go out if you want. You won't run into me.

Still the show must go on. And while I try not to repeat things here, from time to time I'll get a picture of something I've already covered which is as good or better than the one I posted already. So here's a few of those.

A Red-Winged Blackbird from the Toronto Brickyards in June. Red-wings are very territorial, so rest assured if they're flitting around and making a lot of noise when you walk by some next spring they're annoyed at your presence. If you're really lucky (or um, unlucky) they'll even divebomb you for walking near them.

Angry red-winged blackbird, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
In the fall of 2008 I saw two Hooded Mergansers at Colonel Sam Smith Park in Etobicoke, and this past fall I saw two Hooded Mergansers in the exact same spot. Was it the same two? Maybe. And why do they do that thing with their head like the one on the right is doing? I don't know. But they do it a lot.

Hooded Mergansers acting goofy, Toronto photographer Robert Rafton
And even though I posted no less than three shots of Great Egrets this past fall and explicitly said the last time that I'd never post any shots of them ever again, here's another Great Egret, this time in Area 51. If you click on the pic to enlarge you can see he's caught a little itty-bitty fishie.


Great Egret with fish in Toronto park, photographer Robert Rafton
Happy Holidays!